Thursday, February 21, 2013

Apparently Google doesn't think much of me...

So Googling myself yields some somewhat surprising results...
All of the above are actually about me -  Source
I'm glad to see that employers and scholarships committees that might potentially research me in the near future will see that I won a National Achievement award and graduated from Monroe High School, but I do wish I had more recent results. My blog and Glogster accounts don't appear until halfway down the second page, and Google images is even worse, yielding only one picture of me. Considering that I don't have a Facebook or (active) Twitter, I'm genuinely surprised that anything popped up.


One one hand, I'm glad to lack an internet presence, because I don't have to worry about drunken regrets or vengeful friends wrecking havoc; on the other hand, I have to wonder if my near invisibility on the internet is detrimental. Articles such as this and this leave me wondering if I look suspicious or like a social deviant because people can't search me on Facebook.  Personally, I think it's favorable to have less information online, because it limits the amount of stupidity that can be (correctly or incorrectly) traced back to you. As much as I love my friends and family, some of them are the driving force behind why I feel uncomfortable with my name and information plastered across the web. One small comment out of context or one friend who is a little too passionate about a particular issue and my career might be in jeopardy like this teacher from Wake County. Furthermore, it seems that the Internet often amplifies people's natural stupidity and drowns out reason, leading to numerous stories about teacher transgressions online.

That being said, I believe that as teachers in a digital age, we need to have some sort of Internet presence, lest we appear imposters. As disquieting as it is to find scantily clad photos and racist remarks on a teacher's Facebook, it's equally as worrisome to find nothing at all. A good way to strike a balance between these two is being keeping a blog (ahem) and following guidelines and tips such as the ones posted by veteran teacher and global collaborator Vicki Davis at Cool Cat Teacher Blog.

Video courtesy of CNN on YouTube


1 comment:

  1. Shannon,

    Your dual perspectives about Internet presence give readers a lot to think about. Good job on enhancing community with your resources!

    ReplyDelete